Sunday, September 27, 2009

Spaghetti sauce from tomatoes

Since I have TONS of tomatoes growing in the garden this year and I boycotted canning when I was about 8... I've been making and freezing yummy spaghetti sauce. This can actually be used for tons of other foods I'm sure. Anything that calls for tomato sauce.

I probably use about 15 tomatoes per batch. Dip them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes then immediately move them to cold water. While they're cooling down, sautee an onion and about 4 cloves of garlic in butter. Once they turn golden-y, put them in the croc pot. When the tomatoes are cool, peel the skins off, take out the core and cut them in quarters. Add them to the onions and garlic in the crocpot and cook on low for 12-24 hours. Let it cool down in the fridge, then throw them in freezer bags.

I've been looking for a good spaghetti sauce for a long time and this is finally one I like. When I'm ready to serve it over noodles I usually add a little italian seasoning. Voila!!

1 comment:

  1. Hillary--love your site, glad you found mine. I can't wait to try some of these recipes!

    ReplyDelete